Welcome to 6th Grade Math and Community

Hi, sixth grade grade math community! Heather here, and I am so excited to be your child's afternoon math and community/school skills teacher! This is my thirteenth year at Sunnyside, and I am returning to middle school after ten years teaching third grade. I began my teaching career here at Sunnyside teaching middle school for both the forest and river years, and I am back as a Year of the Forest Teacher. My afternoons with your children will include a one hour block of math, and a one hour block of school skills, community building, racial equity work, goal setting, and play. The intention of including the block of a sixth-grade-only cohort is to help transition your child into middle school, help develop positive school relationships, skills, and habits, and to build a classroom family of fellow sixth graders.

    Please be sure to sign up for auto updates on the blog's right sidebar, please bookmark the blog, and check it with your student regularly. I like to post photos on the blog, but I will avoid posting close-up photos of your child's face. If posting photos of your child is problematic, please let me know. I can be reached at hchaney [at] pps.net.

I will link 6th grade math curriculum info to the blog's right sidebar ASAP, but in the meantime PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO by renowned Stanford math professor, Jo Boaler (pronounced "Bay-ler"). As tempting as it may be, refrain from showing your child any other videos from this website at this time. We will be using these videos as springboards into whole-class conversations and reflections around math, and I'd like to do that for the first time as a whole class). I will let you know when you can revisit them with your children together because they are AMAZING!!!! Thanks for your understanding!!

Here's to an exciting and dynamic year full of growth-mindset math, and community building with your children!
Best,
Heather
she/her and they/them pronouns

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our First Week in Community/School Skills and Math

6th Grade Service and Outdoor School Pics!!